Stephen Haller joined Einhorn Harris in early 2004 and exclusively handles family law matters. His legal career began in 1977 as a law clerk for a Family Court judge. Throughout Stephen’s 41+ year career, he has represented people from all walks of life, including police officers, prominent professionals, business owners (and their spouses), attorneys, and politicians. Stephen understands that family law practice requires knowledge of more than just law, these cases often involve interaction with forensic experts in the areas of mental health, asset valuation and celebrity goodwill. Successful resolution of many cases requires an understanding of trial tactics and strategy as well as the ability and willingness to actually go to trial if that is required to achieve the reasonable goals of the client.
Stephen has been involved in a number of important cases; a custody matter litigated by Stephen is among the leading cases in New Jersey jurisprudence. He took over the trial in the matter of Chen v. Heller in the middle of trial testimony and later convinced the higher court to reverse the trial court’s denial of a mother’s right to relocate her children and herself from New Jersey to Texas. The novel issue in that case was the burden of proof in a relocation case prior to an initial custody award and his innovative use of what then was the relatively new concept of “virtual visitation.” Although the technology was then in its infancy, his argument in favor of the use of computer video technology to augment face-to-face visits and phone contact between a non-custodial parent and a child was at the cutting edge.
Stephen represented former New Jersey Governor James McGreevey in the trial of his custody and divorce case in 2008. Again taking over the case in the middle of its pendency, he succeeded in overcoming Dina Matos’ widely publicized personal and financial demands in a verdict universally viewed as favorable to the former governor. The trial highlighted substantial issues involving joint custody, parenting time, celebrity goodwill valuation and employment evaluation. Intense daily television, radio and print coverage accompanied the entire hearing, giving the case wide public exposure. Since then, Stephen is sought out for comment on relevant national family law cases by print media and by CNN and FOX networks.
Stephen was New Jersey counsel to entertainer Christopher Rock in his divorce. That matter involved substantial issues of personal/celebrity goodwill, among other things, and was settled without public trial.
Stephen represents business owners and professionals (and their spouses) in matrimonial matters as well. Whether the issue involves valuation and division of a medical or law practice, automobile dealership, manufacturing enterprise or retail establishment, he has the depth and breadth of knowledge to serve his clients, complemented by the appropriate use of all the varied legal resources at Einhorn Harris.
Honors & Accolades
Stephen has been recognized by the following:
- The Best Lawyers in America© (Woodward/White, Inc.), Family Law, 2019
- “New Jersey Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers, 2005-2019
To the extent this is considered an advertisement, “No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.”
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- Morris County Bar Association
- McGreevey v. McGreevey, represented former N.J. Governor James McGreevey in his public and highly contested divorce and custody matter
- Rock v. Rock, served as New Jersey counsel for comedian Chris Rock in his marital dissolution
- Twenty Einhorn Harris Attorneys Named To 2019 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars List
- Nine Einhorn Harris Attorneys Named To 2019 Edition Of The Best Lawyers In America©
- 20 Einhorn Harris Attorneys Named To 2018 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars Lists
- Seven Einhorn Harris Attorneys Selected For Inclusion In The Best Lawyers In America© 2018
- 19 Attorneys Selected To The New Jersey Super Lawyers And New Jersey Super Lawyers Rising Stars Lists
- Fifteen Einhorn Harris Attorneys Named To 2016 New Jersey Super Lawyers And Rising Stars List
- Stephen Haller To Present Seminar On Divorce Law To Other Attorneys
- NJ Super Lawyers® Magazine Includes 13 Einhorn Harris Attorneys On Their 2014 Lists
- Stephen P. Haller, Esq. & Jennie L. Osborne, Esq. To Present Seminar: “Divorce Guide A to Z”
- Einhorn Harris Attorney, Stephen P. Haller, Esq. quoted in Daily News Article
- Stephen P. Haller, Esq. quoted in Daily News Article
- Einhorn Harris Attorney, Stephen P. Haller, Esq. Quoted in Daily News Article
- Stephen P. Haller, Esq. quoted on FoxNews.com regarding “Weinergate” Scandal